Othman Al Omeir, is the most recognized Arab media personality in the western world, a recognition that he has achieved through a series of initiatives in the media world and the accolades that he has received. He also has a well-developed business network that includes business leaders and high level decision makers from several countries.
He began his career in journalism and quickly established a name for himself within the industry. His illustrious career included the following roles:
- Managing Editor of the London Bureau for Al Jazeera newspaper – Riyadh
- Editor-in-Chief for Al Majalla magazine
- Founder Asharq Al Awsat newspaper
In 2001, he set up Elaph Publishing Limited in the UK and its associated company in Saudi Arabia to publish www.elaph.com on the Internet, one of the first daily Arabic language electronic magazines which quickly became the leading Arabic news portal, commanding one of the biggest audiences for any Arabic language news site. Elaph’s large, international leadership makes its one of the most influential websites in the Arab World.
Mr. Al Omeir has always played the unofficial but pertinent role of “special envoy and messenger” between several Arab and Muslim leaders for specific issues. He is also considered as one of the best political strategists of the Arab world, he is also Co-Founder and Chairman of the board of directors of Strategic Communications Group (Dubai).
Achievements and Accolades
- He was awarded the “2006 Media Man of the Year” award from the Arab Media Forum in Dubai by HH Sh. Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum – Ruler of Dubai and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates
- Member of the Royal Academy in Morocco
- Member of the Board of Directors of Al Jazeera newspaper in Saudi Arabia
- He has interviewed several world leaders including President George Bush Sr., Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister John Major, Chancellor Helmut Kohl, President Jacques Chirac, King Fahd, President Hosni Mubarak, King Hassan II, President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, President Rafsanjani, President Gorbachev and many more.
Mr. Al Omeir is a British-Saudi citizen.